Holidays with Kids aren’t generally about day spas and lounging by the pool – but they are exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. As a parent, when I’ve spent a day making memories, educating and generally making Hendrix happy, I like to top it off with a healthy meal – makes me feel like I’ve really got this parenting thing covered.
This isn’t always easy – the combination of exhausted exhilaration and an increasingly fussy 9 year old eater could be a recipe for disaster. Luckily I have Jamie, who is quite creative in the kitchen. On our last holiday at WorldMark Golden Beach he ‘invented’ what I’ve dubbed ‘Healthy Mexican’. Mexican is a favourite in our family, however I always regret eating that delicious, heavy cheesy treat afterward. This is a more healthy take on mexican, heavy on salad and much lighter on cheesiness!
Jamie’s Healthy Mexican.
Chicken Strips (or cut up chicken breast), bread crumbs, egg, lettuce mix (pre packaged lettuce mix, or try baby Cos), fresh herbs (we love dill), a little grated cheese, sour cream, avocado, taco sauce, tomato, spanish onion, wraps.
1. Egg & breadcrumb the chicken strips and bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
2. Mix up the lettuce, tomatoes, fresh herbs and a little cheese in a bowl. That’s your salad.
3. Dice the spanish onion, mix with some more fresh herbs.
4. Place the avocado (mash it a tiny bit so it’s easy to use), sour cream and taco sauce into bowls (or, you can save time and dishes by plonking a spoon straight into the containers – I know, not very posh but you’re on holiday and exhausted remember!)
5. Heat up the wraps in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
6. When everything is ready, place it on the table and let everyone make their own.
Hendrix loves this meal – and he puts salad on his wrap without me even having to ask him! The family are full (without feeling ‘stuffed’), there is minimal preparation and minimal dishes and you’ve been a great parent all day! Give yourself an hour to relax and digest your meal and you’ll be up and energised, ready to take the kids for a quick swim before the pool closes or teach them how to play euchre!
What do you do when you’re tired and hungry? Here are some more quick and healthy recipes if you want more inspiration.