Located on the Mid North Coast of NSW, Port Macquarie is a destination known for its gorgeous beaches, having one of the best year-round climates, the hinterland, a diverse variety of attractions, food and much more. The locals are always happy to see the amount of tourists visit our beautiful town- nothing is ever too much trouble for our visitors!
My name is Brittany and I’m here to share with you the beauty of Port Macquarie. I was born in Orange NSW; however my parents decided to move from the freezing cold to the sunny Mid North Coast with myself and my 3 older brothers when I was 9 months old and boy oh boy, what a fabulous decision they made!
We grew up in Lighthouse Beach Area, one of many beautiful beaches in Port Macquarie, and my favourite beach in Australia. I began working with Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific at your beautiful Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific Flynn’s Beach Resort as a Resort Host in February 2013 and I was part of this fantastic team for 2 years. I recently made the tough decision (and by tough, I mean it took me months to work up the courage) to venture out on my own with my little French Bulldog Cleo, and continued my career as a Resort Host on the Gold Coast at Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific Surfers Paradise. I look back at my life in Port Macquarie and every single day I think about how grateful I am to have lived in Port Macquarie for over 21 years. I have experienced so much growth within the Hastings area, so I wanted to share a few hints and tips from a Port Macquarie Local….. ME!!
Now, if you enjoy soaking up in the sun, going for long walks on the beach, enjoy funky little cafes, love tiny furry animals and adventures, then Port Macquarie is the destination for you! Even better knowing that you hardly EVER have to wait in traffic and nothing is ever too far away. But be aware: Port Macquarie has many roundabouts and a couple of bumpy roads.
If you plan to stay at your Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific Flynn’s Beach resort, which is located on Flynn Street, you will be in prime location to everything! A short stroll up to Flynn’s Beach, restaurants, the local convenient store, the Koala Hospital, or even a walk into the town city for the day. This Resort has it all; with fully self-contained apartments ranging from Studio’s to 3 Bedroom Apartments, a games room for the kids, a playground for the young ones, a small convenient gym for those who can’t go a day without missing their workout, a rather large amazing walk in pool with a spa attached for the family, BBQ facilities, and a large spacious grass area at the back for a game of cricket or soccer. Oh…and did I mention adult spa?! Key word: Adult. No little kidlets allowed! So if you need some ‘down time’ head into the reception where the sensational staff can give you access to some peace and quiet.
A Few Hints and Tips to Think About Upon Arrival:
- Upon check in don’t get confused with our Sales administration office and reception. Use the blue intercom in front of the grey gate on the right hand side to gain access to reception. Reception will be on your left as you enter through the walk way and tall trees. Where – if you’re lucky enough – you may just spot a koala or two!
- This resort is in a U shape, so if you have mobility issues or can’t walk too far I would recommend booking a Special Needs Apartment or request to be near the lift, as there is only one lift in this resort. Keep in mind requests are never guaranteed but the resort staff will do their very best to accommodate you during your holiday!
- If you are flying in and planning on visiting lots of attractions and doing some sightseeing, then I would recommend hiring a car. Remember, you can contact your friendly Travel Club by Wyndham who can assist with your travelling needs such as flights, car hire, insurance and more.
‘What are we going to do in Port Macquarie?’ you say? Lots! There’s more to Port Macquarie than its beaches.
Here’s a list of the ‘must see and do’ while in Port Macquarie:
- Visit the Koala Hospital up the road from the resort for a Gold Coin Donation and see how our local volunteers look after our injured wildlife.
- If you want to interact more with a Koala then head to the Billabong Wildlife Park where you can cuddle them and feed the kangaroos.
- Take the kiddies to Rosie’s Vineyard where they will be able to play with the petting farm full of lovely baby farm animals. Let the kids play while you enjoy a glass of wine and food.
- Take the family to Bago Vineyard and let the kids complete the Bago Maze while you try some of the local’s delicious wine. (This is about 20-30 minutes’ drive from Port Macquarie towards Wauchope)
- Enjoy a relaxing Sunset River Cruise by the water beginning at the Cruise Terminal on Clarence St or speed things up and jump on the Jet Boat for a thrill ride
- Head up to North Brother Mountain towards Bonny Hills/ Laurieton and either test your fitness skills by doing the track to the top, or drive up to the top of the mountain and witness the extraordinary view of the coastline, have a picnic and make sure you get some photos on the hill.
- Ladies – If you want to relax enjoy a massage or a facial at either Aqua Vitae Day Spa or Elysium Beauty Salon. The staff at both salons are fantastic!!
A Local’s Recommendations On Food
Coming from the world’s pickiest eater, let me give you a couple of amazing places to eat:
- The Pancake Place located on Clarence St is lovely. I enjoy this place when I am craving really naughty food….But if you don’t like Pancakes that is a o k because they cater for all!
- Flavours - Located in Lighthouse Beach, Watonga St. This is a small restaurant located on the corner of the local Lighthouse Beach Shops, but looks can be deceiving, so don’t let the small look fool you, it is a must visit and is ran by a group of young people who specialise in Italian.
- Zebu Bar & Grill – Great for a few cocktails and nibbles in the bar. You can either choose to use the restaurant or stay in the bar area with live music and comfy seats. in the bar they make incredible Gourmet Pizzas, duck spring rolls and yummy oysters !!
- Makimoto – A new Japanese restaurant who have recently just extended. This restaurant is a very popular one for the locals! If you are looking for fresh Japanese food then this is the place to go located on the Main St of Port Macquarie – Horton St.
Most tourists who enter Port Macquarie are there to head to the beach; so let me help you decide which beach is best for you!
Are you a surfer or a body boarder that is looking for the perfect waves? Are you a skater wishing to test your skills? Town Beach or better known as ‘Townies’ is located within walking distance from Port Macquarie CBD. It offers the best conditions to surf. This beach has been surfed by many of the pro’s; local surfing and bodyboarding competitions are held here. There’s a large car park available with shower and picnic facilities and the local ‘recently refurbished’ skate park is available to you as well.
Closest Beach to our resort? – well that’s obvious!
Flynn’s Beach is located 500 m’s up from our Resort and is the perfect location that will please the whole family. It is completely patrolled with large shaded areas for a picnic, rock pools, and a kiosk where you can sit and have some breakfast or your daily morning coffee and read the newspaper. Have you or the kids always wanted to learn to surf? This is the beach for it! Chat to your Resort Hosts at reception and they would be more than happy to organise this for you!
Are you looking for some peace and quiet?
Shelly Beach is surrounded by incredible rain forests and it’s extremely secluded from the busy roads. You are bound to find an awesome spot at this beach! This beach is a long stretch of white sand; it is the perfect spot for a BBQ lunch with the family however it is important to know that it is not patrolled.
Lighthouse Beach or better known to the locals as ‘LHB’ – My favourite beach of all time. Why is that, you say?
This beach is 9-10km’s long heading straight to Lake Cathie, I’ve walked this entire beach and boy what a lovely walk that was – Long… but lovely! This is a patrolled beach during school holidays at the end closest to the Lighthouse and South of Watonga Rocks (the big rocks smack bang in the middle of Lighthouse beach) you can go 4WD driving, ride a camel, or even go beach fishing. This side of the beach is where a lot of the locals will walk their 4 legged fur babies off the leash. Visit the Historic Tacking Point Lighthouse that was built in 1879 and you might just see some whales from here! Remember to take lots of photos while you’re up there, and you can also check out the little secluded beach left of the Light House – This is also a beautiful spot.
I get this question a lot: “What is there to do in Port at night?” ‘‘Where are the clubs?” “Is there any night life here?”
Local to tourist – let me be completely honest with you, Port Macquarie does not have much of a ‘night life’ but we do have 1 Club, 2 Bar/Restaurant’s and a Pub, depending on what suits you.
If you’re looking at live music, pokies dinner and drinks the place to be is either the Panthers Club in Settlement City, Finnians Irish Tavern, The Golf Club or the Tacking Point Tavern.
The Beach House also a popular spot and it is located on the Town Green overlooking the water.. This is the place to begin your night with a lovely dinner by the water and a few beverages…maybe even a game of pool or two. The local artists will be there until the afternoon and then a local DJ will kick the night off.
Zebu Bar and Grill is a great atmosphere for adults who want to get away from the younger teens, who enjoy listening to jazz or rock music, who love to eat, and drink fancy cocktails overlooking the water.
So that’s it from me! I hope this information will help you plan your next holiday to Port Macquarie! Remember it’s an incredible holiday destination for all ages!
And remember…. “The best gifts in the world are not in the material objects one can buy from the store, but in the memories we make with the people we love.” – Quoted by: Amanda Boyarshinov
Discovery by Wyndham Specialist